Anychance somebody could explain why Atlantis is very different to SG1? The operation is much less military and the episodes seam to feature only a couple of leads (instead of 4)
- The reason why there is less militirisation in SGA is because the Atlantis Expedition mostly comprise of civilians and scientists, it is set in a non-military base and the leaders are civilian (apart from Carter of course). That should aswer your question. :) Matthew R Dunn 00:36, 6 August 2008 (UTC)
Um, I'm very tempted to take out the plot section of this page as it practically summarizes Season 1 of Stargate Atlantis. Although if I did that, there really wouldn't be an article left. So I guess what I'm saying is, what could we put in place of the plot section that would make sense. And if we can't find anything, we should take out the plot anyway (as a last resort).—Anubis 10545 05:24, 14 August 2008 (UTC)
Stargate Atlantis: May you rest in peace.—Anubis 10545 02:15, 22 August 2008 (UTC)
Petition for renaming the article (slightly)
Should we change the name of the article? The heading of this article is the only place I can find where the title has a colon in between "Stargate" and "Atlantis". In all other places, it's titled simply as "Stargate Atlantis," not "Stargate: Atlantis". For that matter, none of the other series titles feature a colon, either.
As far as I can tell, "Stargate: Atlantis" should just be "Stargate Atlantis". Thoughts?
- there's your answer. it has a colon on the script but none on the mgm site. ASDF1239 DISCUSSION 02:36, April 26, 2010 (UTC)
Problems With Atlantis
I've recently been watching my Atlantis DVD collection, and on further thought have several problems with the series - largely to do with the idea of the Ancients losing the war, for a start how did the Wraith EVER get the numbers to defeat enough Ancient ships to steal the ZPMs to power their cloning facilities, why didn't the Ancients temporarily disable the gate network and use the Attero device and defeat them, why didn't they just wait eventually the Wraith would have run out of food - they need to go into hibernation to allow the human populations to regenerate - the Ancients could have waited until they did and wiped them out or the Wraith would have turned on each other and wiped themselves out, etc etc The Ancients were far superior technologically so it seems implausible if not impossible that they would have lost - anyone have any theories to counter my ideas??
1. the ancients were overconfident and sent their ships into wraith territory and were surrounded by ships and lost the battle. the wraith took the zpm and used it to clone their warriors hundreds of times.
2. because that would interfere with the ancients and the humans who try to escape the wraith only to find the gate has been disables and i doubt that the council would risk turning on the attero device.
3. i imagine that the human populations (and the ancients) were much greater back them when the war started, the wraith may not have needed to go into hibernation as there was more than enough food.
4.technological superiority doesnt win a war. if you have 1 man with a machine gun and 1,000,000,000 men with knifes, who do you think is going to win?
How did they get the ZPMs it is unlikly that the ancients gave them it for there survival. How fast can the man reload the machine gan and how many rounds does he have? A scotsman (talk) (Contribs) 12:15, August 16, 2010 (UTC)
- the shields failed under the stress and the wraith managed to get aboard. thats not the analogy i was going for, dont get so technical. Escyos (talk) (Contribs) 12:20, August 16, 2010 (UTC)
- The thing with the Attero Device was something we have discussed before; and no-one came up with a good answer to it. The only thing we really came up with was that it was a secret project that only Janus and his secret team knew about. If they were too afraid to tell the council of their research then perhaps that is one reason - if they had tried to turn off the Stargate Network themselves then the other Ancients would probably just fix it and patch the security hole. Sman789 (talk) (Contribs) 17:37, August 16, 2010 (UTC)
- If the shield failed the Ancients would have jumped to hyperspace, or if the hyperdrive was not working blow up the ship.A scotsman (talk) (Contribs) 19:11, August 16, 2010 (UTC)
- Even at sublight it could probably escape the hives - unless engines were the first things targeted. What surprises me is that if they knew they were about to be boarded and would all be killed, why not just overload the ZPM. That could destroy the presumably massive Wraith fleet and anything within a solar system's range if configured to do so. Sman789 (talk) (Contribs) 19:34, August 16, 2010 (UTC)
- Not at sublight speed the hives would destroy it before it got out of weapons range, but the ZPM overload would work but it would destroy any planets near by.A scotsman (talk) (Contribs) 19:42, August 16, 2010 (UTC)
Ok, that covers most of my problems except the first one - The Ancients were overconfident and sent their ships into Wraith territory ok, but how did the Wraith ever develop the numbers and technology in the first place to fight the Ancients - I can't imagine the Ancients would have taken kindly to them feeding off humans under Ancient protection, wouldn't they have wiped 'em out ong before they were ever in a position to pose any real threat? I mean - if I was an ancient powerful race, and I discovered the Wraith I'd annihilate them so fast the war would practically be over before it began.
im guessing that the initially took much of the technology from the ancients, an unarmed wraith wouldnt seem like too much of a threat, if they didnt know that they could feed off them. Escyos (talk) (Contribs) 06:40, August 17, 2010 (UTC)
I suppose its possible but it still seems pretty unlikely, I mean stealing a technology is one thing but UNDERSTANDING it is an entirely different thing - it would be like picking up a textbook on rocketry and then building an intergalactic spaceship first try, technology that far advanced is indistinguishable from magic, also without the Ancient gene, they wouldn't have even been able to turn on any Ancient technology. I just can't see any race becoming strong enough, quickly enough to pose any sort of threat/danger to a race as powerful as the Ancients. 184.108.40.206 09:49, August 17, 2010 (UTC)Mick