But someone is determined to derail the deal. With the SGC under attack, and Vice President Kinsey breathing down their necks, it's up to Colonel Jack O'Neill and his team to uncover the saboteur and save the fledgling alliance. But unbeknownst to SG-1 there are far greater forces at work - a calculated revenge that spans decades, and a desperate gambit to prevent a cataclysm of epic proportions.
When the identity of the saboteur is revealed, O'Neill is faced with a horrifying truth and is forced into an unlikely alliance in order to fight for Earth's future...
This novel is set towards the end of the seventh season, after the events of the episode 'Inauguration'.
When SG-1 cross paths with a fleet of nomadic refugees known as the Pack, a shared animosity towards the Goa'uld brings the two groups toward a historic partnership that promises rich rewards for Earth; but when Stargate Command's attempts to arrange a treaty with the space travellers, a series of attacks from an unknown enemy threatens to shatter the fragile alliance before it has even begun!
The legacy of the future and a bitter foe from the past are about to have a deadly impact on the present...
The events depicted in this adventure take place towards the end of season seven of Stargate SG-1; since Kinsey is Vice-President but General Hammond is still in command of the SGC, these events take place between "Inauguration" and "Lost City, Part 1".
An extract from chapter 8:
Back in the tunnel-like corridor, Jack and Daniel made their way down the passageway. The alert sirens were sounding as the detachments made their way through the open wormhole to the Pack's rendezvous point.
“You think Teal’c might be right?” O’Neill asked the question without looking at the younger man.
“What, are we going to break out the thumbscrews, Jack?” The scientist pinched the bridge of his nose. “Come on, I mean ‘forceful application’? He was talking about torture.’
O’Neill shot him a look. “Teal’c’s been on the wrong end of a Goa’uld pain-stick enough times to know what it’s like, Daniel. And I had my fair share too. It’s not something he’d say lightly.”
“I can’t believe we’re even having this conversation.” Jackson shook his head.
“I didn’t say we were gonna stretch her on a rack, damn it!” The colonel's temper flared briefly. “But we might have to ask some hard questions. I’m thinking we could call in the Tok’ra, maybe use that mind-scanner gizmo they got.”
“You say that like it’s the gentler option.”
Jack stopped and looked the other man in the eye. “Hey!” He snapped his fingers in front of Daniel's face. “Hey, Space Monkey! Look at me! What’s goin’ on? This woman lied her ass off to you, she tried to blow us all up, and here you are stepping up to defend her? Am I missing something?”
- Aschen warship
- Janus' outpost
- Stealth lander
- Tau'ri-Aschen war
- Aschen bioweapon
- Tau'ri Resistance Movement
- This novel is essentially the third story in the 'Aschen Trilogy' that appeared in "2010" and "2001", featuring the Aschen attempting to attack Earth in revenge for their past 'attack' on Earth.
- The survivors of the future include a Reetou collaborating with Commander O'Neill.
- The Jack O'Neill of 2032 has an adult daughter called Jade, but her mother is not identified, with the available evidence being enough to support or reject the obvious assumption that Jade is Carter's daughter (She knew Daniel as a child and had a crush on him, but he died when she was in her teens, and said that she knew Sam but was unclear about the nature of their relationship).
- The claim that Janus built the Time Loop Machine is completely erroneous as the machine was built before the Ancients even left the Milky Way for Pegasus, millions of years before Janus was even born.
- There is a minor continuity error, as Carter makes reference to Zero Point Modules which were only discovered in "Lost City" and named after the fact.
Notes of Interest
- Zat'nik'tel is spelled Zat'ni'ktel.
- Stargate SG-1: Relativity on Fandemonium
- Stargate SG-1: Relativity on Amazon UK
- Stargate SG-1: Relativity on Amazon US
- Fandemonium on Facebook
- Fandemonium on Twitter