Old friends, new enemies
When Dr Daniel Jackson discovers the location of a lost Ancient laboratory, the temptation to investigate proves impossible to resist...
In the lab, he uncovers a powerful device — a prototype technology designed by the Ancient inventor, Janus, to supersede the Stargate network. But when the Ouroborus device accidentally activates, it strands General O’Neill and his team on a dangerous new world where friends are not always friends and a terrible enemy is stirring.
Now all SG-1 have to do is survive long enough to find their way home...
The events depicted in this adventure take place during season eight of Stargate SG-1; more explicitly, it takes place between "Threads" and "Moebius, Part 1", as Daniel reflects that he has experience of 'mental combat' from his confrontations with the Replicators.
An extract from chapter 1:
There was a thrashing from the grass behind her, and Daniel joined them, his eyebrows rising as he took in the stone and its markings.
“Ouroboros,” he said.
“What?” Sam gave him a wary glance. “The snake that eats its own tail.” Daniel moved further along the side of the stone slab, studying the carving. “It’s a symbol for infinity, and also for alchemy, for the transformation of base matter into gold, or matter into energy. And also —”
He looked over his shoulder, his smile suddenly mischievous.
“In Earth’s mythology, it’s associated with the god Janus.”
“Oh, come on,” Sam protested, but it made a certain amount of sense. Everything they’d seen of Janus so far suggested that he was just that arrogant.
“If he went to all this trouble to hide his secret lab, why would he carve his name on the front door…?”
Most of this novel is set in a Alternate reality where various events turned out differently, including;
- Daniel Jackson was assigned to join the Atlantis expedition, but had appendicitis just before they were scheduled to depart.
- All of the expedition travelled to Athos to find a potential new power source rather than just a key team under Sumner's command, which resulted in the death of Doctor Elizabeth Weir when the Wraith came.
- The fates of the Genii and Satedans are apparently reversed, as the Genii are confirmed to have been destroyed by the Wraith while Specialist Ronon Dex came to Athos explicitly to discuss an alliance with his people.
- There is a brief appearance by a Wraith whose description matches Guide; Daniel Jackson later confirms that this Wraith was Guide's counterpart when he meets Guide in the primary timeline and establishes details of how his history might compare to his counterpart.
- Stargate SG-1: Ouroboros on Fandemonium
- Stargate SG-1: Ouroboros on Amazon UK
- Stargate SG-1: Ouroboros on Amazon US
- Fandemonium on Facebook
- Fandemonium on Twitter