- "Henry Hayes, President of the United States of America, one nation among many."
- ―Henry Hayes[src]
On his first day in office, he was briefed by the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Francis Maynard. His Vice President, Robert Kinsey wanted him to remove General Hammond from command of Stargate Command and had Richard Woolsey brief him on several incidents where Earth came close to disaster. He was not convinced that Kinsey's position was the correct one and when Woolsey gave him evidence that Kinsey was tied to rogue NID elements, he was very displeased. (SG1: "Inauguration")
Despite his mistrust of Vice President Robert Kinsey, he replaced Hammond as commander of Stargate Command with Dr. Elizabeth Weir. He was instrumental in the defense against Anubis' attack on Earth by ordering the Prometheus into battle and also by trying to bluff Anubis when he appeared as a hologram in the Oval Office demanding Earth's surrender. He forced Kinsey to resign and evidently go rogue (he also implies that he would have done worse to him if he didn't resign, as he mentions that he has "enough evidence as to have Kinsey shot"). (SG1: "Lost City, Part 1", "Lost City, Part 2")
After Anubis' attack, he appointed Dr. Elizabeth Weir leader of the Atlantis expedition and the Antarctic outpost and put Brigadier General Jack O'Neill in charge of Stargate Command. (SG1: "New Order, Part 2")(SGA: "Rising")
A short time after General O'Neill took over at Stargate Command, Hayes traveled to the SGC to fully endorse him, but after sending Mark Gilmor to secretly assess his command ability. (SG1: "Zero Hour")
In 2007, Hayes was being briefed by Lt. Colonel Samantha Carter on the scenario that played out in the alternate reality where the Stargate was made public. Major General Henry Landry believed that Hayes was having a hard time getting past the fact that he wasn't President. (SG1: "The Road Not Taken", "Bad Guys")
- In an alternate timeline accidentally created by SG-1, he was Secretary of the Interior in 2005 whereas Robert Kinsey was President instead. (SG1: "Moebius, Part 1")
- In an alternate timeline created by Ba'al, Hayes was still President in 2009. When the second Stargate was found, Hayes ordered it dug up. However a Goa'uld fleet attacked Earth at the same time, negotiations between the humans and the Goa'uld leader Ba'al turned sour as Qetesh killed him, after which she ordered an attack on Earth. It is unknown what happened to Hayes and Major General George S. Hammond, as Washington D.C. was bombarded, but they were in an underground bunker. (SG1: "Continuum")
Behind the ScenesEdit
- In early drafts of the Stargate SG-1 Season 10 episode "The Road Not Taken", the script had Henry Hayes as President of the United States, but William Devane was unavailable. Because it was felt that the President needed to be a darker version of a character familiar to Colonel Carter, Henry Landry took that role with General Hammond commanding the SGC in the final script.
- In reality, this office at the time was held by George W. Bush who was President of the United States from 2001 to 2009.